Wednesday, September 05, 2007

A Beautiful Story

Mom got this great story e-mailed to her from a friend who is also a doggie lover. She liked it so much, she said I could share it with all my friends.


Our dog, Abbey, died August 23, and the day after Abbey died, my 4 year old, Meredith, was SO upset. She wanted to write a letter to God so that He would recognize Abbey in heaven. She told me what to write, and I did.
Then she put 2 pictures of Abbey in the envelope. We addressed it to God in Heaven, put two stamps on it because, as she said, it could be a long way to Heaven. We put our return address on it, and I let her put it in the drop box at the post office that afternoon. She was absolutely sure that letter would get to Heaven, and I wasn't about to disillusion her.

So today we took the kids to the museum in Austin, and when we came home, there was a package wrapped in gold on our front porch. It was addressed to Meredith. So... she took it inside and opened it. Inside was a book, When A Pet Dies by Mr. Rogers (Fred Rogers). Inside the front cover was the letter we had written to God, in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was one of the pictures of Abbey taped on the page. On the back page was the other picture of Abbey, and this handwritten note on paper:

"Dear Meredith,
I know that you will be happy to find out that Abbey arrived safely and soundly in Heaven. Having the pictures you sent to Me was a big help! I recognized Abbey right away! You know, Meredith, she isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with Me, just like it stays in your heart...young and running and playing. Abbey loved being your dog, you know. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep things in. So... I am sending you your beautiful letter back with the pictures so that you will have this little memory book to keep. One of My angels is taking care of this for Me. I hope this little book will help. Thank you for your beautiful letter. Thank your mother for sending it. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you.

Signed,
God


Well, I sure hope you liked that story. I thought it was very sweet.

Hollybollyboo
(feeling somehow comforted)

12 comments:

-The Mullin Clan's Mommy- said...

Hello Holly,
Oh what a beautiful story. I read that with tears in my eyes. When my daughter was 6 or 7, I got her up to go to school & had her kiss & hug our beautiful Husky, Clover, before she left. Clover was in a lot of pain & couldn't get up & walk anymore. Joel & I took Clover to the vet to say good-bye to her. I picked up that same book to read to my young Josh & Erin when she came back from school. I couldn't read it through. Erin sat on my lap, tapped me on the shoulder & said, "It was OK mommy, I'll read it to you." She was in 2nd grade & had just started to read. We made a special photo album in tribute of Clover being with us & Erin wrote a letter to Clovie about how much we loved & missed her. All of you furballs can be assured that your human families love you very, very much.

The Army of Four said...

Oh, Hollybollyboo! That was so sweet! It made my mom get the salty wet things on her cheeks, then she went around and hugged each one of us! Cosi's mommy's story was very dear, too!
I responded to your question on our blog! I hope it clears up any confusion -- it's more like Mom is lazy and doesn't take our leashes off after we've come in from somewhere else. :)
Love,
Amber

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

Awww, that's a really sweet story. Thanks for sharing!

Steve and Kat

Marley said...

Hollybollyboo, my Mom is crying all over me after reading that, and it's very tasty! Thank you!!

Licks n love,
Mars Bar

Jack & Moo said...

That is soooo sweet! I got this as an e-mail too & posted it on another forum. I still get teary re-reading it. Reminds me of how my youngest son wrote his Grandma a letter when she passed away, tied it to a balloon, and we let it fly up to heaven. (He was only 4), kids are so sweet. God never wrote back, but that's ok, we know He keeps all these things in His heart!

Star & Jack-a-roo

Lorenza said...

Hi, Holly
Thanks for sharing this beautiful story! Yes, my mom is crying too!
Have a good night
Lorenza

Joe Stains said...

what a GREAT story!!

Girl Girl Hamster said...

That's a really bootiful and sweet story.

~ Girl girl

The Husky in the Window said...

This was such a great story. Of course Mom had to cry and hug us and she had to print it and put it with her dog stuff.
Husky Hugs, MayaMarie

Anonymous said...

Oh beautiful story!!! Mom had to excuse herself and get tissue.
Hugs,
Sitka

Mud Monster said...

Aww Holly that was beautiful!!! Our mommy is crying all over the place too. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Quincy and Tristin

Bama said...

Holly, we're drowning! That was a beewootiful story, but now moms waterfalls turned into a full out flood, complete with sniffs and honking into tissues. We're floatin away down here! But if the tissues don't all float away I'm gonna go dig 'em out of the trash..
Manykisses,
Bama & the RHP